Sunday, November 7, 2010

Your "First" Department Project

"Requiem of Crazed Genius" or "Tesla Gauntlets", David Plotnick, Found Metal and Telephone Parts, 2010

As of right now, I find sculpture to be the department that I want to apply for as a major.  A project i stumbled upon was to make some wearable work of art.  I was watching a special on TV on the popularity of steam-punk in science fiction.  It introduced me to a number of great steam-punk sculptors like Art Donovan, Jake von Slatt, and Tim Wetherell.  I was instantly inspired by the exposure of mechanics, the metals,  and the leather.

When making these gauntlets, the function of these gloves remains a mystery even to me.  I found it amusing when people would play with the dials, place the cuffs of metal around their wrists, and flip through my notes and blueprints.  I felt I created more than a fashionable item, but an environment where people would be invested into a crack pot scientist and his goofy experiments.  It kept people entertained, my craftsmanship improved, and I am constantly finding new ways of utilizing material in a clever manner. In other words this was a very successful and enjoyable piece to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment