Friday, December 17, 2010

Final Project

"The Electric Hair", 32x 25 x 18 in, found material sculpture, 2010

I wanted to go for a machine that was bigger than the last one I made. I know it would seem like playing safe but I felt like I could not get inventing things out of my system.  There are some things I liked and disliked about the piece I made.  I did appreciate that there is more energy and more things on it to give it a wacky and zany "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"  appearance.  I also was pleased how gin bottles would work as lights or how the barber pole was made from a brass umbrella holder.  However, it still has a junky look as well as such a reliance on hot glue that it leaves strings as well as being a cheap adhesive.  The last thing is the delicate nature of it.  In the future I feel that I should use a soldering iron as well as make structurally sounder pieces.  It is not a bad piece, but it could use some more improvement to achieve its fullest potential.  Overall, I have no regrets this year and I learned a lot from my classmates and teacher.

1 comment: